Sunday, January 22, 2012

One Day its Winter - Next Day it is Spring - then Winter Again!

I think the only way to sum up last week was the big fluctuations that we have been having in our temperatures.  I walked 6 out of the 7 days - missing Thursday to go to a retirement affair of a close friend who has decided to retire after 39 years.  I will really miss him.

But back to the weather - Monday it was 5C, Tuesday 12C, Wednesday -10C, Friday -12, Saturday -7C, today it was 2C, and tomorrow they are calling for 11C.  The nice thing about the cold is that the trails have frozen up and we are no longer walking in mud - although that will all return next week when it warms up again.

Saturday's walk lasted 2 hours and 20 minutes and was up and down many steep hills in a park called Shorthills Provincial Park.  Today's walk was much easier, as Sundays tend to be.  It was around city streets in a town called Fonthill and was only one hour and 20 minutes.  I wore my backpack today to start getting used to it.  All of the pictures are from the Shorthills walk except one.  The last picture was taken from today's walk and is of Charo - she is a member of the hiking club and she together with her son and niece will be walking the Camino beginning in St Jean Pied de Port beginning mid March.  She is the one in the picture with the backpack as she is getting used to carry it.  Good luck Charo!






3 comments:

  1. It's interesting to read your comments about the weather, Tim. Even though it's (supposed to be) Summer here in New Zealand, we're having bizarre temperature fluctuations as well. I'm enjoying looking at your photos and reading about the places you walk. So pleased you have another blog going!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tim! I tried to upload a picture, being one of your followers now, but I am not such a wizz kid, but I will ask my daughter. It is great to read your adventures in Canada. What a lot of snow! It looks really beautiful and the start of your training is already a tough one! From now on I will follow every step! And beautiful pictures also! Enjoy your preparations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. To use your phrase, Tim, 'I'm honoured' to be called a veteran Camino walker - unless veteran refers to my age, ha ha! I'm pleased that Hedwig, Cullen, and a few other familiar names from your last blog, are following again.

    ReplyDelete