Sunday, February 26, 2012

Niagara Gorge, 22 kms, and sore knee

You have to squeeze through here
Believe it or not, there is a trail across here
This past Monday it was sunny and just above freezing so I went to the Niagara Gorge which I think is the most amazing place around here to hike.  There is a loop that takes just under two hours to hike it and I did the loop twice - taking me just under four hours!

Very seldom do I have pictures of me hiking but I came upon another hiker who took my picture
This is the trail as it winds out of the gorge
The stones act as stairs climbing up

In the summer you would not see the Niagara River through these trees because of the leaves

Over the bridge
........through the fields


 On Saturdays, the hiking club always has a two hour hike and a longer 3+ hour hike.  The 3+ hour hike this week was a 22 km hike which started in St Catharines and headed south, up and through the Niagara Escarpment, through fields, across bridges, along waterways, in some areas that were very muddy - and then back.  The hike took 4 hours and 45 minutes - my longest hike now so far.  I did not have many pictures because only the very good hikers selected the longer hike which was rated as fast speed and moderate terrain and quite frankly, during a lot of it, I had trouble keeping up.  P.S.  The hiker with the backpack is Charo who is leaving for the Camino on March 22nd!
......and over the streams to grandma's house we go.


 Today (Sunday) I just hiked a 12 km road course around home which took me 2 hours and 4 minutes.  My left knee is becoming very sore and I may have to shut down for a week or two - I will try it on 8 km hikes during the upcoming week to see how it reacts.

No comments:

Post a Comment