Monday, July 2, 2012

Seattle

Space Needle from far away
Space needle up close
Seattle at night
Convention Centre
Floor to ceiling glass wall at Seattle airport
Light rail service from airport
Mount St Helen from airplane




I was in Seattle 5 days last week for a conference.  I took light rail transit from the airport into the city, which was about a 40 minute ride.  The cost was $2.75 as opposed to $40 for a taxi.  But that meant that I had to walk everywhere I went.  To save some money, I stayed at the Holiday Inn which was exactly a mile from the Conference Center, instead of staying at one of the hotels right beside it.  The savings were about $75 a night that way.  Which meant at the minimum I had to walk 2 miles each day.  But in gathering food, sightseeing, and a 7 mile round walk to look at some shoes I seen advertised, I did lots of walking - mostly in dress shoes!  I did buy a new pair of New Balance running shoes.  At home on Friday, I walked 4.5 miles in the new shoes and regular socks.  No issues other than the bottoms of my feet were a bit sore from a bit of friction -but no blisters.  So Saturday, I gave my feet a generous application of vaseline and wore good hiking socks and walked 7 miles.  During the walk, I could feel a bit of discomfort with my one foot but nothing too alarming.  Upon arriving at home and removing my sock, I had the biggest blister I have ever had on the side of my right foot and it was completely filled with blood.  Just when I thought I had found the right pair of shoes, crap!  It seems that every time I take a step forward, I get pushed two steps back.  It will be a few days before I dare walk again and now I have yet another pair of shoes for my collection of useless shoes.  I have attached some pictures of Seattle.

No comments:

Post a Comment