Sunday, April 1, 2012

Canadian Pilgrim Meeting - Toronto

I walked 8 kms on Monday and my knee was very sore - so I decided to stop walking - for a couple of weeks.  I have not walked for 6 days now and my knee feels like new - no pain at all except for it was a bit stiff after the two hour ride back from Toronto yesterday.

What was I doing in Toronto you ask?  (Well, we can pretend that you asked).  Twice a year, the Toronto chapter of the Canadian Company of Pilgrims holds a meeting in the basement of a Toronto Church.  The meeting lasts about 3 hours - they have keynote speakers; a representative from Mountain Equipment Co-op (MEC), a major outdoors equipment supplier in Canada gave information about the latest equipment available; networking; some folks brought their backpacks to demonstrate what they carried during their Caminos; equipment swaps; updated news from the Canadian President of the group; and they had draws for equipment and books.  Generally this event (which is free to attend) is well attended with about 250-300 attendees.  But this time it was standing room only with about 400 people there and a lot of people had to stand for the entire 3 hours.  Because I live two hours away, I try to get there with time to spare.  I like to sit in the front where I can both see, and hear, what is being presented.  Author Robert Ward was the best speaker, telling and reading excerpts from his book 'All the Good Pilgrims'.  The book is a collection of tales from his many walks on the Camino, which now total 8 times.  I have read this book twice, but it was 10 times more enjoyable hearing him tell of his tales in person.  A close second was a gentleman who was an unscheduled speaker, who told of how three separate hours on the Camino had such a influence on his life.  It was amazing.

The meeting took place in the basement of this church

This is me (and my truck) in front of the church prior to the meeting

My friend Ivan from Sarnia went with me and I got him to take these pictures

Okay, there was one chair left, but I think it was because it was broken
So I am planning on continuing with my physiotherapy this next week, still taking the anti-inflammatory pills, and since this coming Friday is Good Friday and a holiday here in Canada, if the weather is good, I will go on a short walk and see how the knee feels.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Tim, sure do hope the knee heals before September's attempt at the Camino. Take it easy and don't push too hard.

    ReplyDelete